Saturday, July 16, 2011

Would you stick with this job? Please no rude comments. Looking for legitimate answers.?

I began a job today working for the MDA (muscular dystrophy association) trying to call local business owners to see if they would like to support a fundraisers. Each business owner is asked to raise $3200 by June. Basically, the job is 6 hours of day of making phone calls. Nothing else. Yes, basically telemarketing. Like the rest of the world's population, I hate receiving these types of calls. I understand that it is for a good cause; however, some of the company's methods are borderline harassment. They told us to say ANYTHING to get a committed donor--even saying that we are doctors and such...Um not true, but "It is not a lie if it’s for a good cause." That comment sent up red flags for me because I believe honesty is the best policy regardless (unless it’s going to intentionally hurt someone i.e. “You’re fat”) And then, once I got on the phone I encountered angry owners, crazy secretaries, and people that just did not give a care! Now, I have to be honest, if I were the owner of a mom&pop business, I would not be shelling out $3200 to some organization. I don't blame these people for acting this way since I would totally do the same. BUT, if when I tried to get off the phone with the disrespectful people, my manager fussed at me and told me that I didn't try hard enough to win them over. I am paying my own way through grad school right now and the job is $10 per hr. It is about 40 minutes away from my house. I have a 30 minute lunch break, but there are no restaurants in the vicinity. It would take approximately 30 minutes to even reach a restaurant like fast food that I would have time to eat. My last job was in a corporate office (right by a mall so TONS of restaurants) with an hour lunch break and $18 per hr. Yes, I know those types of job don’t come around too often. I would still be working there now, but I was on as a contractor and my contract expired. I am stuck. I just got home, head spinning. I really need some money…Oy vey, what do you think I should do? Stay or move on?

No comments:

Post a Comment